Speaker of the Parliament of Moldova Zinaida Greceanîi, leaders of the Jewish community of Moldova, the EAJC vice-presidents Alexander Bilinkis and Emanuel Grinshpun, as well as representatives of the Jewish communities of Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Israel, France, USA, and other countries attended the opening ceremony of the new synagogue in Chisinau.
The synagogue is located in the preserved old part of the new Jewish community center “Kedem”, built on the site of the historic synagogue “Lemneria”, which has been active since 1835. The destroyed building of the old synagogue was placed at the disposal of the Jewish community of Moldova in 1990.
Rabbi Samson Daniel Isakson became the rabbi of the new synagogue. It worths mentioning that just in a few months he has managed to gather a young active congregation around the Jewish community of Moldova. Moreover, 85% of the new community members never visited the synagogue before and for the first time are involved in Jewish community life.